Outpatient & Ambulatory Care
Clinical Information System & EHR Repository
Smart Health is an off-the-shelf Outpatient and Ambulatory Care solution that integrates a scalable and extensible Clinical Information System (CIS) with the aggregation of clinical data across points of care in a patient-centric Shared Electronic Health Record (SEHR) Repository that can be accessed by all of a patient’s authorised healthcare providers.
The CIS offers a range of off-the-shelf outpatient and ambulatory care modules, integrated with a state and nationally scalable clinical data repository that is strongly eHealth standards compliant, that interoperates with other eHealth systems and that interoperates with the national PCEHR program. The solution implements the highest possible NASH-based security, privacy and consent management.
Smart Health CIS provides a range of chronic disease and other health management modules that support detailed point-of-care clinical information management. The CIS is readily extensible to support new chronic disease and health program data sets; new on-line forms to capture program specific data can be developed and deployed quickly to meet your clinical information management needs.
Smart Health CIS presents patient health records in user-friendly, easily navigable on-line forms, including diagnoses, procedures, allergies, immunisations, medications and prescriptions, family health and clinical event history. Patient summaries are displayed with a single mouse click, including demographic data, medication summary and diagnostic summaries. The solution provides authorised clinicians with secure Internet-based access to patients’ shared electronic health records from any practice, on any network, on demand.
Housed in a government accredited secure data centre, the EHR service repository supports Smart Health CIS, provides health information exchange services, interfaces to the national PCEHR and generates reporting databases for our clients. It also imports data automatically from local health information systems using standards-based interfaces. The EHR service supports interfaces to patient administration systems, hospital clinical systems, diagnostic services, hospital dispensing systems and other specialist health information management applications.
Chronic Disease/Managed Health Programs
Smart Health CIS provides integrated, managed health information support for a range of chronic disease and other managed health programs, including:
- Specific and specialised data capture and management for managed health program data (clinical assessments, care plans, allied health care and more)
- Reporting of managed health program data for clinical audit, statutory reporting, registry, research and other purposes
- Multi-disciplinary support for patient care and treatment
- Cross-practice, cross-jurisdictional support for patient care
Smart Health CIS currently supports:
- Renal medicine (chronic kidney disease)
- Cancer (including multidisciplinary team support across multiple health services) (partly developed)
- Cystic fibrosis (and other respiratory diseases)
- Infectious diseases (including HIV)
- Vascular interventions
Developing support for new managed health programs through extensions to our core platform is one of our main development activities. New on-line forms, to support new managed health programs, can be implemented quickly, through collaboration with our clients’ clinical teams.
Smart Health CIS and Repository integrated functionality includes:
- A clinical information management suite that provides multidisciplinary teams with a robust clinical information capture tool
- Key clinical data, including diagnoses, procedures, allergies, immunisations, medications & prescriptions, family health & event history
- Recalls (Alerts, Email & SMS notifications) for forward planning patient visits
- eReferrals to refer patients to other healthcare providers that participate in the program (also with Alerts and Email & SMS notifications)
- MIMS-based medications and prescribing, including Medication Summary
- Automated standards-based importing of results from external systems, including public and private pathology and radiology services, hospital administration and clinical systems, lung function test results, pharmacy dispensing data, dialysis machine results and remote tele-monitoring data
- Hospital discharge summaries
- Consultation notes (general & chronic disease specific)
- Several chronic disease and health management program specific data sets, including detailed event summaries, clinical assessments, care & treatment plans and consultation notes for a range of healthcare provider roles
- Local (practice-managed) reporting
- Reporting to national databases and registries
Smart Health provides user-friendly, cross-platform access to health records:
- Simple, easy to learn user interface – train users in less than an hour
- Platform independent (100% Java application) operation on Windows, Mac (Q3 2013), Unix & thin client workstation platforms
- Mobile device support currently under development
- Network independent operation over any network, including standard Internet, corporate VPNs, private ISP services, mobile data and satellite networks
- Secure, PKI authenticated interfaces to public health systems (JCAPS/Cloverleaf/Mirth/etc.)
- Secure Message Gateway for sites that are not able to support secure Web Services or TLS/HTTPS connections to third party services
- Automated application updates over the web (no CDs to install)
- Minimal support required from local IT teams
Smart Health’s reporting solution provides each participating practice with its own reporting database for local management of all reporting activities, including:
- Reporting to state and national disease registries
- Reporting for research
- Reporting to state health services
- Clinical education programs
Smart Health is offered as a full-service, licence-free, secure private cloud software solution. It will readily scale to all workstations in outpatient and ambulatory care environments. It can be installed over the Internet on any workstation or any number of workstations. Users apply for a Commonwealth Department of Human Services secure token (smartcard), which provides access to Smart Health CIS. Installation takes a few minutes and training can be completed in less than an hour.
The solution does not need any local IT infrastructure and requires minimal local IT support.
A monthly software service subscription fee is sized to each user group. This approach is low-cost and cannot typically be matched by conventional fully-licensed, locally installed software. There are no licence, support or maintenance fees.
There are three releases of Smart Health CIS each year, each of which includes a range of application enhancements.
For urgent data capture requirements, we provide rapid development and deployment of new data management and reporting capability. New on-line data capture and reporting forms, to support a clinical trial, for example, can be implemented immediately. In this way the local team gets the functionality that it needs when it wants it.
Security, Privacy and Consent
Smart Health implements the strongest possible authentication and encryption technologies to protect clinical data:
- Opt-in patient consent model – nil access by default (patients must explicitly authorise access by practices)
- DHS/NASH PKI authenticated and encrypted sessions
- Service hosting in a federal government accredited secure data centre
- The solution is compliant with national privacy principles; approved by Commonwealth Department of Veterans’ Affairs Legal Branch and by Veterans’ Affairs & state hospital ethics committees and complies with the PCEHR privacy model.
- Local practice administrators are able to configure user access permissions
Smart Health complies with current and emerging standards, including:
- Australian national Health Identifiers
- Australian PCEHR B2B interface
- Web Services, for corporate health system interconnectivity
- Secure Message Delivery (SMD), interoperability with primary health systems
- HL7 V2.x clinical and administrative messages
- SNOMED (partially implemented)
- NASH/DHS PKI
- CDA clinical documents
- Smart Health is a proven and stable solution (multi-site, across three states)
- Accredited and registered supplier – NSW Government ICT Services Scheme
- Registered supplier Victorian Government eServices Register
- Smart Health has been load tested by IBM to 16,000 concurrent users with sub-second response times